The Franzia Wine Family
1915 was a watershed year for Giuseppe and Teresa. All of their children were born, and their vineya
The Franzias quickly started the large family that eventually reached eight children. Their first ch
It was likely the arrival of irrigation-district water that caused Giuseppe to build a house on the south county land in 1912. The Franzias moved their household belongings and farm equipment to their new home by railroad flatcar, unloading at Simms Station, a short distance east of the property. A vineyard was immediately planted. It would take three years for the vines to reach production.
Teresa, besides keeping house, working the farm, and rearing the children, functioned as family treasurer. It appears that her thrift and Giuseppe’s hard labor and marketing skills are what led to the family’s success. Giovanni Battista Franzia was still in partnership with his brother. The 1913 city-county directory shows Franzia bros. living on Route 1, Ripon. Ripon, the closest town to the Franzia home, sits on the Stanislaus River.
On August 22, 1912, another son was added to the family of Giuseppe and Teresa: Joseph J. Franzia, the youngest of the five Franzia sons. Joseph is the English form of Giuseppe; “Joe” was named for his father. He was the first child born in the south county. Two years later the family’s youngest child, Anne Candida Franzia, was born July 20, 1914.